Tulalip Bay Fire Department 15 logo

Burn Regulations & Permits

All outdoor burning, with the exception of small recreational fires, is prohibited unless a Burn Permit has been obtained from the Tulalip Forestry Department.

What isn't allowed: It is also illegal to smoke out your neighbor. If they complain, you are required to put the fire out immediately. You can be fined for causing a nuisance, and you may be held financially liable for damages caused by your fire.

What is allowed: Recreational fires are allowed on your own private property and in designated locations in some public parks. However, these fires are restricted to 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height. Recreational fire means cooking fires, campfires, and bonfires using charcoal or seasoned firewood in designated areas or on private property for cooking, pleasure, or ceremonial purposes.

This means that a family can have a fire in their backyard purely for enjoyment as long as it is:

  • No more than 3 feet in diameter and no more than 2 feet in height.
  • Burning charcoal or seasoned firewood.
  • Not impacting the air quality for neighbors.

If an air-quality burn ban is called (typically in the fall and winter), ALL outdoor fires (including recreational fires) may be prohibited on public and private property.

Check Burn Ban Status

Complaints or concerns about outdoor burning:
If you have a fire-safety concern, call 911 immediately.
If you see someone burning during an air quality burn ban or have an air quality complaint, call 911 for an emergency situation.

Air Quality vs. Fire Safety Burn Bans
Air quality burn bans are issued and enforced by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency when air pollution levels rise to unhealthy levels. Air quality burn bans typically occur during colder fall and winter months.
Fire safety burn bans are issued by the fire marshal when dry weather conditions heighten the risk of wildfires. Fire safety burn bans are generally called during the summer and can last for several months.
PSCAA is NOT responsible for issuing or enforcing fire safety burn bans.

Burn Permits

All burn permits can be obtained from the Tulalip Forestry Program.

Tulalip Bay Fire Department does NOT issue burn permits. Only recreational fires allowed.

Tulalip Reservation - Forestry Program
6406 Marine Drive
Tulalip, WA 98271
Tel: 360-716-4370

Snohomish County Fire Protection District 15

7812 Waterworks Road
Tulalip, WA 98271

Phone: (360) 659-2416
Fax: (360) 653-7387

Office Hours

8AM - 5PM
Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Firefighters are on duty 24/7 and may be out on a emergency call. If no one answers the door please come back later or dial 911 to report an emergency.

Mission Statement

It is the mission of the Tulalip Bay Fire Department to foster community relations through unwavering service and protection of life and property under the foundation of our core values.