Brand new International, front mount pump, 1250 GPM pump and 750 gallon tank was delivered for Tulalip Bay Fire Department.
It was exciting year for community and firefighters. Finally, firefighters we able to staff the fire hall Monday-Friday 6am-6pm and get paid for it. The job will pay $10/hr for those that are interested and qualified with additional $5 stipend per call. The first two part-time Firefighter/EMTs were Teri Dodge and Chuck Miller. Shortly after, Teri Dodge was first full-time firefighter secretary for the district. The fire department responded to approximately 350 calls that year.
When Chief Luthans took office he envisioned great potential for Fire District 15. In his first several years he managed to upgrade Self Contained Breathing Apparatus, Communication Equipment, hose, ladders, lower Insurance Rating 2 classifications, upgrade personal protective equipment and finally launch day time part-time program.
On January 11 of 1992 the fire station finally opened its' doors. Over 100 community members came to celebrate the grand opening. Even though the station was not designed for night staffing it will completely accommodate 2 firefighter day time volunteer program. In the beginning the station was 8,000 square foot with bathrooms, storage rooms, meeting rooms, and 4 door apparatus bay.
Chief Denny Malone was one of the first Chiefs. He has done significant amount of work in his 30 years of service. Chief Malone and his team managed to update several pieces of apparatus, obtain multiple pieces of safety equipment, train volunteer firefighters to EMT certification, increase services, increase volunteer size and finally break ground for the new districts headquarters.
It was time for fire department officials to break ground for new station that will house 4 pieces of fire apparatus and will accommodate more than 25 firefighters that will answer over 230 calls for service that year.
For variety of safety reasons it was decided by Snohomish County Fire Chiefs to have all fire trucks painted red with reflective striping.
The fire department received lighter, better and safer Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA). They were MSAs again except this time it was lighter aluminum 30 minute bottle.
The fire department logged over 100 responses per year. As the fire department expanded, additional volunteer firefighters were recruited. An additional bay was added to house new fire apparatus and accommodate 25 volunteer firefighters.
The district purchased a brand new Fire Engine. It was Hendrickson chassis built by Darley 1500 gallon per minute, 3 stage pump with a 1000 gallon built in tank.
Though the volunteer firefighters were trained to provide basic life support (BLS) care there were many procedures that firefighters could not do, because of additional training requirements and cost of advanced medical equipment. The district contracted Everett City of Everett Fire Department for advanced life support (ALS) Services.
The first water tender was replaced by a retrofitted septic truck. It had a front mount 1250 gallon per minute pump and a 3000 gallon built in tank.
Tulalip Bay Fire Department purchased safety equipment for firefighters, they were an MSA 30 minute steel bottle SCBA units.
Paying for fuel and equipment out of pocket was no more. Finally the district received tax money from the county, which was significant source of revenue for the fire department.
The fire department purchased its' first Aid Unit. Even though the district did not have license to transport patients to local hospitals the aid car reduced the expenses for fuel used by the big rigs. The funds for this purchase were donated by the Tulalip Tribes. One more bay was added to the station to house the aid unit.
As the fire department grew in size there was a significant demand for Emergency Medical Services. The department could not provide transport services for patients, therefore a private ambulance company, baker ambulance, was contracted to provide transports to hospitals.
The fire department purchased its' first fire engine, a Diamond Rio front mount pump with 1250 gallons per minute pump capacity. The truck was also equipped with 1000 gallon built in tank.
Tulalip Bay Fire Department was funded by Mission Beach neighborhood and fundraisers that were put on by men and woman of the fire district. Many times the firefighters had to fuel-up the rigs with their own money, because no county funding was available at this time.
Several tribal members along with residents of Mission Beach donated land to the fire department for the fire station. Volunteer Firefighters built 2 door apparatus bay with a hose tower. That station was housing a water Tender and a 1947 Engine that was capable of pumping 750 gallons per minute. 9 digit phone number had to be dialed when a citizen had to report an emergency. 12-17 volunteer firefighters answered approximately 30 calls per year responding to the station on their personal vehicle or in some cases they responded directly to the scene. The only services fire department provided were fire suppression, vehicle extrication, and CPR.
The district Commissioners established the boundaries. Snohomish County Fire District #15 officially began serving the west part of the Tulalip Indian Reservation. It was determined that south boundary line would be 7th Ave NW and north boundary line would be 140th Street also known as The Fire Trail.
First Chief Al Schroeder
Secretary: Margaret Littell
Commissioners: Ed Sierer, Bill Rooney and Sub Wilson.
The Marysville City Fire Department was not allowed to leave City of Marysville and Snohomish County Fire Protection District #12 did not have enough resources to be servicing the east side of the reservation. All parties agreed that this module would benefit everyone. The Marysville Fire Department provided fire fighters and Snohomish County Fire District #12 provided the fire truck. This plan seemed to work; however, this only worked for Eastern side of Reservation, the west side Tulalip Reservation still had no first responders.
Several years before Snohomish County Fire District 15 was established there were a few devastating fires on the Tulalip Indian Reservation, to which no Fire Department responded. In 1955, a beach house burned to the ground in Priest Point Beach area. Couple years after the Priest Point incident the old “Board Walk” caught on fire destroying several homes. Since then community members had been working on a plan to receive fire suppression services on the East end of the Tulalip Indian Reservation.